Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2022 09:08:24 +0200
From:      Franco Fichtner <franco@opnsense.org>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, emaste@freebsd.org, roy@marples.name, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>, brooks@freebsd.org, cy@freebsd.org, Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Import dhcpcd(8) into FreeBSD base

Hi Ben,

> On 7. Aug 2022, at 7:31 AM, Ben Woods <woodsb02@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> Reason: ensure fresh installs of FreeBSD support using DHCPv6 and =
prefix delegation to obtain an IP address (not supported by dhclient or =
rtsold). Having it in ports/packages could be problematic if people =
cannot obtain an IPv6 address to download it.
>=20
> Why dhcpcd vs other DHCPv6 clients? It=E2=80=99s well supported, full =
featured, included in NetBSD and DragonflyBSD base, and is now sandboxed =
with capsicum. The other DHCP clients tend to either not support DHCPv6 =
(dhcpleased) or are no longer actively maintained (wide-dhcpv6-client).

Having worked on dhclient and rtsold in FreeBSD and worked with it for =
years
in pfSense/OPNsense the proposal here seems to be to throw all progress =
away
that would definitely have to be rebuilt in the years to follow for the =
all-
in-one (?) replacement.

For OPNsense we did fork strip down and improve wide-dhcpv6 over the =
years:

https://github.com/opnsense/dhcp6c

It could use more work and cleanups, but basically all that is required =
is to
bring it into FreeBSD and use it to skip a long trail of said future =
work both
in dhcpcd and putting back existing perks of the current dhclient and =
rtsold.

The basic question is: what's not working in dhclident? How is rtsold =
inferior?

It seems like "It=E2=80=99s well supported, full featured, included in =
NetBSD and
DragonflyBSD base" incorporates none of the real world concerns for =
migratory
work so for the time being I don't think it's a solid proposal, also =
because
it will cause heavy downstream disruption in OPNsense/pfSense in a few =
years
as well.

Cheers,
Franco=