Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:31:03 -0500
From:      Rhavenn StormWing <lists@rhavenn.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ping Question

At 02:04 PM 4/22/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Rhavenn StormWing wrote:
>>
>> I sent this over to the newbies list..but then remembered no questions over
>> there(sorry for those of you over their too...). Here is my problem(I think
>> pretty simple:
>>
>> I just got pppd to work right and now when I try and ping
>> anything(including the localhost) I get this error:
>>
>> ping: sendto: Permission denied        (this is repeated over and over)
>>

>Sounds to me like you have IPFirewall on and it's not allowing icmp
>outgoing.  You'll need to modify your ipfw configuration to allow icmp
>packets through (don't forget - both directions).

   I have:

firewall = "open"

in my rc.conf  . Doesn't that prelude anything in the rc.firewall file?
Also, my pppd sets the defaultroute to the system I am dialling into and
then using the 'c' in the netstat table it reroutes the default gateway. In
addition, I can't do nslookups, whois's etc... it says it can't find the
nameservers I have listed in resolv.conf . Is my IP stack not setup correctly?

Thanks again!

The Rhavenn