Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:17:56 -0500
From:      "J. T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
Cc:        Bret Esquivel <besquivel@immense.net>, 'Mathieu Arnold' <mat@mat.cc>, wmoran@collaborativefusion.com, ke han <ke.han@redstarling.com>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, Krempasky Mark <mkrempasky@epsiloninteractive.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PERC 5/i mfi status?

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, Bret Esquivel wrote:
>> Mathieu,
>>
>> I was actually asking if there is an "amrstat" type utility that I
>> can check
>> the array status while in production. Thanks for the advice on
>> 6-STABLE, I
> Well, it was sysutils/megarc for PERC/4.  On PERC/5 mfi(1), it's
> whatever we decide to call it.
>
> Dell is shipping a CLI with OMSA or whatever.  We may have to hack on
> the kernel interface:
>
> http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2006-October/027645.html
>

> We've got the      /dev/mfi?     management interface already, just
> need to port the Linux code over.
>
> I'm really starting to think OpenBSD will beat FreeBSD to the game
> with the bio(4) RAID management hardware abstraction subsystem:
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=bio&sektion=4&arch=i386&apropos=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current

Is there enough similarly in the work to think about joining forces and
building one set of tools for all the BSDs?  I know that there are
differences at the driver level, but I think that in the longer term,
that would
be better than simply copying and porting code...

John Farmer

John T. Farmer          Owner & CTO              GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com   865-691-6498             Knoxville TN
    Consulting, Design, & Development of Networks & Software