Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:40:13 -0400
From:      "Ken Menzel" <kenm@icarz.com>
To:        "Eric Lee Green" <eric@estinc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 'ch' Errors using chio w-sony changer

Thanks Eric!
   I guess it's my drive returning an error when the VOLTAG bit is set
in Element 1 of the READ ELEMENT STAUS command.  OK that I understand.
What really confused me was that chio seems to need this bit set to
execute 'chio return drive 0'.  I would guess that this is because the
'return' command gets the source information from the VOLTAG info, and
if there is no VOLTAG(bar code) info, of course it can't return the
tape!  I am learning alot from this.  I think the man page could
mention this.  I wonder if I should give someone(freebsd-stable?) a
patch for what I feel would be appropriate? I will try 'mtx' now also,
I am hoping it will also run on BSDi, because I need this for BSD/OS
also.

From reading the web page it looks as if 'mtx' works like 'chio' but
supports more features and drives and runs in users land.  I wonder
why 'mtx' is not in  the /usr/ports or a part of freebsd!

Thanks for your help everyone.

Ken

> BTW, if you want to try it, 'mtx' works fine on FreeBSD.
> http://mtx.sourceforge.net . Also works fine on Linux, Solaris 8,
Solaris
> 2.[67], and IRIX. Uses same syntax on all of these guys, just uses a
> different device name for the passthru driver (e.g. /dev/pass1 on
FreeBSD,