Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:01:04 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Shadow filesystems [was Re: Pair donates 20,000 to Poul-Henning Kamp??]

--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:43:47PM -0400, Darren Henderson wrote:

> They have some "shadow drive" functionality that I would love to see
> folded back into FreeBSD.

Hmmm... that's a coincidence.  Is this the same sort of thing as the
'Shadow Drive' function under Windows 2003?  That is, a system that
keeps backup copies of files etc. over time, so if you happen to
accidentally delete something you shouldn't have, you can resurrect it
without having to go running to your Sys-admin to beg them to get it
back from the backup tapes.  Sounds conceptually like a slightly more
elaborate version the old VMS file versioning thing, or the GNU
numbered backup trick you can do with emacs etc.

I was talking with one of the IT people at a company I'm doing some
work for and he was waxing lyrical about having this in a new SBS 2003
system he'll be bringing on-line soon.  First I'd ever heard of such a
thing.

--=20
                                                      Savill Way

--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz