Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2000 13:34:01 -0800
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        bmah@cisco.com
Cc:        Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Continuing ThinkPad saga

> If memory serves me right, Ken Key wrote:
> > The broken T20's BIOS should have read v1.08a (IYET45WW) - sorry for
> > the typo.  The BIOS on the other working T20 is v1.03 (IYET37WW).
>
> Hi Ken--
>
> I've got a T20, type 2647-86W, with BIOS 1.03 (IYET37WW).  Given your
> comment above, you'd think that I should have no problems...
> unfortunately I bricked it yesterday after installing 4.2-RELEASE.

Interesting.  The two that worked, including the one with
the same BIOS rev., were Win98SE preinstalls.  The one I tried that
failed (v1.08a) was a Win2K preinstall like yours.  I also used
Partition Magic, like you.  I used BootMagic, though, rather than
boot0.  I never saw a "big hidden FAT16" parition, only a single FAT32
that I shrunk via PM.  The next question to be asked is what would
happen if I used FreeBSD only with no Win2K on the machine.  I didn't
try this on the T20, but on the T21 it still bricked.  I don't think
I'll get around to trying it on the T20 as my day job is calling me
as well.

>  boot0 appears perfectly capable of loading Win2K on
> this machine.

Yup, once I got rid of the 0xA5 partition, I could use PM or boot0 to
boot the Win2K.

> So I'm real curious to see why two different machines with the same
> firmware behave differently.  Is there any chance of finding out what
> the partition table for your T20 with BIOS 1.03 is?

I've got a request for the fdisk output, but I believe it is simply:

ad0s1 FAT32/Win98
ad0s2 FreeBSD

> In another thread, Peter Wemm suggested that maybe we could have our
> boot1 handle other partition types in addition to our 0xA5.  In my
> Copious Spare Time, I'm going to see if I can make up boot blocks that
> do this (doesn't seem too hard to do, although I haven't figured out how
> to get the boot blocks over to the ThinkPad yet).  Problem is...I'm need
> to be doing Real Work (TM) for $VBRC today. :-p

I started down that path but gave up.  I decided that even if I did
get it to work on a different partition number, trying to support this
hack on all the FreeBSD laptops (20+) in my organization would kill my
sysadmin staff during upgrades and installs by newbies who weren't
aware of the issues.  I cancelled my order and ordered other laptops
instead.

If you do try to do this, note that 0xA5 is hardcoded in boot/i386/boot0/
boot0.s, and boot2/boot1.s.  You'll also need to change DOSPTYP_386BSD
in both /usr/include/sys/disklabel.h and (I think this is where I
made my mistake) in i386/include/pc/msdos.h.  I never got it to work,
but that was because I gave up after deciding the above.

Regards,
K^2
--
Ken Key (key@cips.nokia.com, key@Network-Alchemy.com)
Nokia,  Clustered IP Solutions, Santa Cruz, CA