Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 13:28:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, hamby@aris.jpl.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: BeBox->FreeBSD telnet trouble..

> I just received my BeBox (http://www.be.com/) yesterday and it is too
> cool!  Will be porting lots of software to it in the future, hopefully.
> Anyway, my problem is minor, and FreeBSD related.  The BeBox comes with a
> simple GUI VT emulator, and a command-line (it uses the bash shell)
> telnet program.  When I telnet (via Ethernet) to my FreeBSD box, I find
> that I need to press ^J instead of Enter to end lines.  Obviously there is
> some option negotiation the BeBox is not doing correctly.  Can any network
> gurus provide me any information on which option(s) could cause this kind
> of problem, so I can maybe fix it myself by fiddling the telnet
> accept/deny negotiations and then complain to Be?  Thanks in advance!

Telnet is incorrectly negotiating line mode; because it is supported
is not a reason to negotiate it, unless your caccnonical processing
is implemented at the correct level (the BeOS caccnoical processing
is at the wrong level).

You will need to repair the telnet client.  Point them at the BSD
sources (origincally from Cray) for telnet.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.