Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:37:43 -0800
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>
To:        "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feature request: make ports resume download of truncated distfiles

++ 02/01/03 15:12 -0500 - C. A. Daelhousen:
| Firstly, I apologize if this was discussed already. I tried searching
| the mailing list archive and open PRs, but didn't see anything about
| this topic.

Maybe a PR should be opened on the subject then :-)

| The problem is apparently with 'do-fetch' in bsd.port.mk: the condition
| for fetch complete is the existence of an appropriate filename in
| distfiles, based on the (invalid) assumption that the file will only be
| there if completely fetched.

Maybe I am completely missing something, but how would we be able to
tell if a distfile is truncated, or if there actually *is* a checksum
mismatch (and the file was completely downloaded)?

If we can figure out a way to tell if a distfile is truncated, then I
think this would be a great feature to have.  Or maybe we introduce a
variable RESUME_DOWNLOAD to tell ports that it was a partial fetch.  For
example, if I am on a dialup, I might need to ^C the fetch to use a
phone line, then I could make -DRESUME_DOWNLOAD.  Or maybe we can do the
fetch to a temp directory (/usr/ports/distfiles/downloading/ or
something), and after fetch(1) completes move the distfile into the
appropriate ${DISTDIR}.  That way we would be able to tell if fetch(1)
finished or the user interrupted it.

What do others think?

--pete