Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 2000 00:29:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        gibbs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Supermicro 370DL3 owners, good news!

Well, most of you followed my thread[0] several days ago concerning
problems installing 4.1-RELEASE on a Supermicro 370DL3 w/ AIC7892.
Quite a few of you wrote back speaking of your own woes with the same
board or other 7892 based U160 controllers, particularly 29160s.  After
much playing today I found a driver revision which worked and allowed me
to do a full install of FreeBSD.  It took making quite a few current
snapshot install floppy sets before I found a working revision.  I just
kept looking through commit logs for src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/* until I found
a good date to get the snapshot on.  Here's my uname:
moby# uname -a
FreeBSD moby.structbio.vanderbilt.edu 5.0-20000827-CURRENT FreeBSD
5.0-20000827-CURRENT #0: Sun Aug 27 12:36:38 GMT 2000
root@usw2.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
If those of you having trouble with this hardware would try running this
current snap or backporting the 1.47 revision of aic7xxx.c and the other
aic7xxx files involved in that commit it would help constitute a good
review for MFC.  I'd like to get Justin to MFC his latest version of the
driver ASAP, hint hint.  I'm going to try running bonnie and/or rawio
overnight and make sure I've got proof that the driver is good and
stable on my hardware.

[0] http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=10386+0+current/freebsd-scsi

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying