Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2018 23:20:02 +0200
From:      Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@digiware.nl>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>
Cc:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting ZFS pools back.
References:  <5f836c79-b379-f066-689b-1645e393c5e9@digiware.nl> <E3B39DFA-269A-4041-922E-38F0CF35CB9A@gentoo.org> <a7fb7ffc-fa5f-4031-c78a-20e7ba618566@digiware.nl> <CAOtMX2gpuc0ntoxqKJv3iw3x_Dcq99zpcmqE8g%2B2QiDtYPHmZQ@mail.gmail.com> <1645b168-4133-693c-2dd3-8e0606abb9c3@digiware.nl> <07576f68-f67e-3a22-7a50-ff261c9b3fff@digitaldaemon.com> <CANCZdfonKRcFKiV%2BCmCvAQ3O5h%2BuNBcWDW7oyxOhWMdmpDHEcw@mail.gmail.com>

On 29/04/2018 20:21, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com
> <mailto:jan@digitaldaemon.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/29/2018 13:27, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>
>         Trouble started when I installed (freebsd-update) 11.1 over a
>         running 10.4. Which is sort of scarry?
>
>     This does sounds 'scary' as I am planning to do this in the (near)
>     future...
>
>     Has anyone else experienced issues like this?
>
>     Generally I do build the new system software on a running system,
>     but then go to single user mode to perform the actual install.
>
>     I have done many upgrades like that over 18 or so years and never
>     seen or heard of an issue alike this.
>

> 11.x binaries aren't guaranteed to work with a 10.x kernel. So that's a
> bit of a problem. freebsd-update shouldn't have let you do that either.
>
> However, most 11.x binaries work well enough to at least bootstrap / fix
> problems if booted on a 10.x kernel due to targeted forward
> compatibility. You shouldn't count on it for long, but it generally
> won't totally brick your box. In the past, and I believe this is still
> true, they work well enough to compile and install a new kernel after
> pulling sources. The 10.x -> 11.x syscall changes are such that you
> should be fine. At least if you are on UFS.

I have been doing those kind of this for years and years. Even upgrading
over NFS and stuff. Sometimes it is a bit too close to the sun and
things burn. But never crash this bad.

> However, the ZFS ioctls and such are in the bag of 'don't specifically
> guarantee and also they change a lot' so that may be why you can't mount
> ZFS by UUID. I've not checked to see if there's specifically an issue
> here or not. The ZFS ABI is somewhat more fragile than other parts of
> the system, so you may have issues here.
>
> If all else fails, you may be able to PXE boot an 11 kernel, or boot off
> a USB memstick image to install a kernel.

Tried just about replace everything in both the boot-partition (First
growing it to take > 64K gptzfsboot) and in /boot from the memstick.
But the error never went away.

Never had ZFS die on me this bad, that I could not get it back.

> Generally, while we don't guarantee forward compatibility (running newer
> binaries on older kernels), we've generally built enough forward compat
> so that things work well enough to complete the upgrade. That's why you
> haven't hit an issue in 18 years of upgrading. However, the velocity of
> syscall additions has increased, and we've gone from fairly stable
> (stale?) ABIs for UFS to a more dynamic one for ZFS where backwards
> compat is a bit of a crap shoot and forward compat isn't really there at
> all. That's likely why you've hit a speed bump here.

Come to think of it, I did not do this step with freebsd-update, since I
was not at an official release yet. I was going to 11.1-RELEASE, to be
able to start using freebsd-update.

So I don't think I did just do that.... But I tried so much yesterday.
Normally I would installkernel, reboot, installworld, mergemaster,
reboot for systems that are not up for freebsd-update.

--WjW