Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 14:39:29 +1100
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ata and Asus P2B-S - SOLVED

Howdy,

Well, after a good night's sleep and a bit of lateral thought, I managed to
solve my problem. It appears that if you disable USB in the BIOS, a verbose
boot into the 4.4 install kernel will hang immediately after the following
message:

isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices

The BIOS Geometries section never gets displayed.
Soren, I apologise for thinking it was an ata driver issue. The hang between
atapci0 and ata0 probe messages made me think there was one. It seems I was
much mistaken.
I can live with having USB enabled - I'm not running short of IRQs - yet!

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au