Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2023 23:13:32 -0400
From:      Kurt Hackenberg <kh@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bye, bye, bash

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 01:55:15AM +0100, Sysadmin Lists wrote:

>I find most people don't even know some of the features in bash exist.
>
>Just a few:
>   Commands for Manipulating the History
>       yank-nth-arg (M-C-y)

That command-line editing is in the bash man page under "READLINE". The
above, and the default, is Emacs style; there's also a vi style (which
I haven't tried).

Emacs normally treats the keyboard Alt keys as the modifier Meta, but
that may not work on a terminal or terminal emulator, and of course
bash always runs on a terminal. Emacs and bash have an alternative --
instead of modifying a key with Meta, precede it with the character
Escape -- but that's slow to type, a real hindrance.

Xterm has ways to make Alt-as-Meta work, but it gets complex. There are
several settings and the "locale", which all interact, and bash and
Emacs also have settings and locale. See the documentation.

You could try xterm's main menu setting "Meta Sends Escape", and its
corresponding resource metaSendsEscape. That might work.

I don't know about other terminal emulators.