Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 09:22:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   It seems FreeBSD is crashable... ;-)

Well, well... I had an interesting experience this morning.  I was playing
around with mounting my DOS (Win95) partition... works like a charm,
actually, I just created a 'dos_drive_c' directory off of /, and used the
command:

mount_msdos /dev/wd0s2 /dos_drive_c

Turns out I can actually access my main Win95 C drive (first hard drive on
the primary controller - freeBSD is on a second hard drive
on the secondary controller (master), with the CDROM drive as a slave).  For
some reason, I can't mount the D: drive on the extended partition on the
first drive (wd0s3) - perhaps someone who knows more than I do can explain
why.

Anyway, it's nice to have some extra storage space for temporary
stuff in 8.3 filename format, should I need it (highly unlikely), or to grab
a text file I had downloaded under Win95 or something.  I have it
automatically set up to mount now in .login so I can access it anytime I
please.  I'm aware of the risks of writing to the DOS filesystem from
FreeBSD, BTW... and plan to use it mostly for copying FROM the DOS drive TO
a directory on my FreeBSD drive.

Now, for the crashable part - I have an OS/2 boot manager partition on
/dev/wd0s1.  Just for kicks, I tried:

mount_msdos /dev/wd0s1 /tmp

Guess what... FreeBSD instantly locked up.  No keyboard input, no daemons
running, nothing... followed by an instant, unclean reboot a few seconds
later (all slices dirty on reboot).  So it turns out it is possible to
completely crash FreeBSD :-)  (someone's gonna tell me I should have known
that already).

BTW, I also figured out how to mount my CDROM drive using mount_cd9660 using
the device specified in /etc/fstab.  That could be convenient in the future.

Tim

E-Mail: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Date: 28-Jun-98
Time: 09:09:12

This message was sent by XFMail under Fvwm2 and FREEBSD.
My personal website is at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html
Take a look if you have the time - something for everyone there.