Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:57:10 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A different buildworld failure

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 10:35 am, Bill Squire wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 05:08:51PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Argh!!   If you're trying to compile everything with -fPIC, then
> > you deserve what you get.
> >
> > Peter Wemm
>
> Putting '-fPIC -DPIC' in the CXXFLAGS= section causes no problems for
> me. Don't put it in the CFLAGS= section or you will probably be
> sorry. You must be selective where you use it in normal 'C'.

No, you're missing the point.  Do not put "-fPIC -DPIC" *anywhere*
in /etc/make.conf.  Do not hack blindly hack ports to compile
everything with -fPIC (including executables), and yell at anybody else
who is doing it.

Fix the problem, rather than just plaster over the top of it.  That
means finding out why the port is doing this in the first place?  Is it
just because the author is clueless and accidently forgot that shared
libraries need to be pic (and got away with it till now on i386).  Or
they are doing it deliberately with --prefer-non-pic to libtool (and
got away with it until now).  Or something just went wrong.

For some reason, autoconf/libtool seem to think that --prefer-non-pic
works when they test it.  Maybe finding out why autoconf/libtool
mistakenly believe this bogo-flag is usable would would help things a
lot.