Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 02:53:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      attila! <attila@hun.org>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@freebsd.org>
Cc:        David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problems mixing aic789 and TekRam 395U[W] controllers

Sent: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:18:23 -0700 by Maxime Henrion:

+ olivier houchard ported this driver to -current.  you
+ can get it at http://www.ci0.org/tmp/dc395x_trm.[ch].

    Thanks!  I 'fetched' it, put the files in sys/pci,
    modified sys/conf/files and config, hit 'make
    buildkernel', waited 6 minutes, hit 'make
    installkernel', installed the card, and rebooted.

    Viola, the BIOS read the card, but it had the same
    effect as the dual bus aic789 --last one in fouls the
    previous controllers and/or channels and it can not find
    the /dev/da0 drive to boot the kernel --the loader
    'show' appears normal. Attempts to load with 'ufs:da0a',
    'ufs:da0s1a', 'ufs:da0s4a', or even 'ufs:disk1a' also
    fail. Same problem if da[01]a are connected on channel A
    of the aic789 and the slow SCSI is on the B channel.
    Tyan 2642 instructions tell you to boot from channel B.

    The DC395U initialization followed the aic789 in
    the boot.

    Before I proceed with the task of trying to fully
    isolate the problem, if anyone has any insights, I would
    be most grateful. System:

	OS: 5.0-CURRENT at 1800 15 Sep 02

	Tyan 2642 Thunder K7 with dual 1.2G AMD CPUs
	500 MB DDR ECC memory
	dual IBM 9+ G 160 MB/sec transfer rate drives
	Creative DVD-RAM
	Matrox mga200 video

	DC395U not currently installed

    I had already been the route with scbus hints prior to
    trying the DC395U (I have no doubt the DC395 would
    bring a 50 pin disk up if I had one).

    The dual bus AIC worked prior to my rebuild of 20 Feb; I
    had to stop building after that as Qworst discovered and
    closed out my "private" carrier (don't ask) and dumped
    me in the common `SLCs' out here in the boonies of
    southern Utah 12 miles out of St. George on a ridge,
    reducing my access to 19.2 --at best. I just got
    wireless at 6 Mbit and am trying to catch up with a
    vengeance...

    I'll play with, and document, the finite number of ways to
    connect the 160s, slow stuff, two buses on the AIC, with
    and without the DC395, with and without hints, etc.

    Until I added the DC395 there was significant question
    as to whether there was a problem with the dual channel
    aic789 on the Tyan 2642 motherboard, or the driver, or ?

    After installing the DC395U, I am more inclined to
    question the cam driver itself.

    film at 11....