Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 18:10:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        wjw@IAEhv.nl
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a DPT controller, pros and cons

On 02-Jul-98 Willem Jan  Withagen wrote:

> Well, als long as I decide that I've messed with my system, and I'm
> relatively shure that I never got to the writing stage of my OS. Then
> I see no problem. Remember that I once was saved by optimal.exe because I
> had a wire crossed and ended up with 2 clients for ID 6: tape and disk.
> Otherwise I would have lost the data that I wanted to backup in the first
> place.

I did not say optimal.exe is useless.  I used it more than once!
BTW, it is broken, as it only works in certain MB, DPT, firmware
combinations.  I am going to add it to the DPt driver.  Then it will be an
option in dptcntl.

> Just out of curiosity I would be interested in what a DPT set would cost:
>       controller
>       cabinet for 5 disks
>       4*4Gb disks in canister
>       cables

I belive the shelf for 8 disks is about $2,300, the disks 9in a canister
are about $100 over mail order prices.  The shelf comes with one cable and
two powersupplies, and two fans and an automatic differential/SE interface
and two terminators.  But I may be wrong a bit.

> We've had this discussion when I was still running 7h0

7H0 was sick in this depratment and several others.

> =>  3.0-current has certain utilities.  I will provide more once the
> migration
> =>  to CAM and the initial release of the 5th generation controllers is
> out.
>
> Is it possible to back-port these to 2.2-STABLE? Or does it require too
> much
> changes to the way you interface with the card?

The changes are rather streightforward.  The card interface is essentially
identical.  The difficulty arises from the close ties /dev/dpt has to the
HAS work I am working on.  Even worse is the certification process.  Before
I will release this code, I need to spend several weeks in regression
testing.  I simply do not have the time right now.  There is pressure to
move the DPT driver to CAM, and to continue with the HAS work.

> I have some stuff in a DPT/tools directory, but they do not seem to work.
> First I had to change from major devno 130 to devno 88, but still no go.
> I'm starting to wonder if my mirror of your DPT directory is still
> operational? Where do you currently keep your FreeBSD work?

The major number is a NOP.  The latest work is in
ftp://simon-shapiro.org/crash.

Simon