Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 12:00:04 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   DOS emulation (was Re: Networking in PCEMU (1/2))

Eric L. Hernes stands accused of saying:

> Have any of you all had a look at bochs?  It's on my list
> of `to look at' and maybe do a port of, but it's low priority.
> It's supposed to have most of 80386 stuff working.
>
> http://world.std.com/~bochs/

Yeah, well.  It builds trivially under 2.1 (haven't tried on -current,
expect it will there too) with an include fix, but it's a bit limited
functionality-wise.  It's also dog-slow, even compared to PCemu.

What we _need_ is for the kernel vm86 stuff to happen so that DOScmd
can go ahead; this is basically predicated on Sean having the time to
do it, as none of the other x86 gurus seemed interested in helping us
deal with the problem we hit last time.  The emulation code in DOScmd
is actually pretty good, and having brutally cleaned it, it's _much_
easier to read and work on than the Linux dosemu code.

Once _that_ works, we can do some _serious_ DOS emulation.

--
]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au.au          [[