Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:42:08 -0600 (CST)
To:        root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Read data from Audio CD's?

In reply:
> Hi!
> ---
>
> I was recently wondering if there would be any possibility to read the raw
> digital audio data from an audio cd. I looked into the various drivers but
> did not find something that looks like it would be willing to do this job.
> Are there any hardware restrictions on the cd-rom drives that do not permit
> to read the raw audio data but just play audio CD's or aren't the drivers
> that advanced that they're able to do this task, or am I totally wrong?
>
> Thankful for any advice.

I unfortunately cannot answer if freebsd can support this [yup, i got an old
caddy style matcd], but i can say for sure that cd-audio disks can be
transferred to disk.  i know this to be true from the time on this very
machine when i copied the entire song "Stairway to Heaven" to disk in order
to prove conclusively to a mis-informed religious zealot that the only words
said backwards in the song are "I wish it would snow" and in fact has nothing
satanic in it when played backwards.

everything he thought was satanic, i proved that by speaking at the proper
intonation and tempo into the pc's mic and then playing it backwards, you can
duplicate anything he pointed out.  the "i wish it would snow" bit could not
be duplicated that way, and is the only thing said backwards in the song,
and is clear as day...

Face it, i was bored sh*tless and drunk and getting tired of hearing his
crap...  wtf, the bet was for the dinner tab, i don't mess around when it
comes to a free pizza and margz...

it can be done.

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or