Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:50:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Uncle Flatline <flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   7 questions/problems from a former Linux, new FreeBSD user

[------------------<80-column fixed-width text follows>------------------]

Hi,

I apologize for the length of the message, but this is a log of problems that
I've been having, and now that I'm finally able to send mail out, I'm just
sending the entire list of problems. Are there any souls out there kind
enough to help a novice who's looked at the FAQ and Handbook, but still not
understanding?  (I'm coming from an intermediate Linux user/admin background,
so you shouldn't have to handhold too much, I hope.)  Here's seven questions,
bugs, gripes, or misunderstandings that I'm having.

1) A few days ago, (Saturday, Jan 31, 1998) I followed the directions on
   the FreeBSD home page which fetched the 2.2.5-RELEASE boot disk.  This
   loaded an out-of-date ports collection.  Should this page be changed?
   (The FAQ mentions RELEASE, CURRENT, and STABLE, but only discusses
   CURRENT and STABLE.)

2) Dual boot doesn't detect Win95. Worked fine with Linux.  Layout:
      Primary IDE Master:   1081 MB hard disk, FreeBSD, BootEasy
			    (formerly Slackware Linux, LILO)
      Primary IDE Slave:    Empty
      Secondary IDE Master: 2441 MB hard disk, Win95
      Secondary IDE Slave:  CD-ROM

   At least that's what I THOUGHT it was.  After fiddling a bit, I am
   now able to mount the msdos partitions, though unlike Linux, I didn't
   see anything about VFAT long filename support.  Here's my current fstab:

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/wd0s1b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/wd0a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/wd0s1f		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/wd0s1e		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/wd2s1		/DOS/C		msdos	rw		0	0
/dev/wd2s2		/DOS/D		msdos	rw		0	0
/dev/wcd0c		/CDROM		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
proc			/proc		procfs	rw		0	0

   I confess to some confusion over how I should set the geometry.  (When
   telling FreeBSD install to use the entire disk with the geometry that
   was specified in the BIOS, (2097/16/63) it appeared to actually use the
   whole disk. (This geometry also appeared in the early boot messages
   during the install -- before I ever set any geometry.)

   When leaving the geometry set to FreeBSD's best guess which is what
   Linux and pfdisk liked, (524/64/63) it appeared to only use part of the
   disk.   Full specs on the 1081 MB disk I'm using can be found at:

        ftp://ftp.seagate.com/techsupport/st31081a.txt
   or  http://www.seagate.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/at/st31081.txt

   I didn't screw with the other disk at all, since it has a fully
   functional Win95 sitting on it, and I saw no need for FreeBSD to break
   something that was working.

3) When connecting via a multiplexer (DECserver/Vista) over a phone line
   the username is accepted, but the password seems to ignore the carriage
   return.  The system waits forever for the password to be entered.  (It
   seems that typing <LF> (^J) directly gets around this problem.  But that's
   ugly!)

4) When telnetting to my Linux host, the system correctly translates
   IP name to IP numeric address, tells me it's connected, and then
   immediately says "Connection closed by foreign host".  Telnetting
   from FreeBSD to other machines is fine, as is telnetting to the Linux
   machine from anything other than the FreeBSD machine.  (Is this some
   authentication thing that I turned on during the install?  Can I correct
   things without reinstalling?)

5) When telnetting anywhere, it never seems to get the terminal emulation
   right, though I thought I had forced it to do that.  Related issue:
   The kernel LINT config file, and the handbook say "Enable this and
   PCVT_FREEBSD" with regards to vt220 emulation.  I take it PCVT_FREEBSD
   is an options line that I should include?  (Also, where can I get an
   idea what the standard SCO console is like?  Is it worse?  Better?
   Merely different? Can I have both vt0 and sc0?)

   P.S. I recompiled with sc0 off and vt0 on, but am having a whole different
   set of emulation problems.  (/stand/sysinstall now goes nuts sending the
   ANSI escape sequences to the screen and making a mess.  Other programs
   exhibit similar behavior.)

6) Recompilation of kernel lost the JAZ drive (and never got me the audio
  (SB) support.) How important is the order of the lines in the kernel
  config file? I tried to arrange mine in what I thought was a logical
  order:

	generic options
	cpu stuff
	controller
	  drive
          drive
	  controller/drive options
	controller
	  drive
	  drive
	  controller/drive options

   Recompiling with the order that LINT uses got the JAZ drive back, but
   I'm still stuck with no sound.  P'n'P problem???  I don't want to turn it
   off if I can avoid it.

7) STUPID IDEA: Why does chsh do so much more than it should and badly?
   It should just change the shell, not bring up an editor. I decided to
   change the sell of my root account.  It not only displayed the shell,
   but a password line.  I hadn't set my password yet at that point, so
   I attempted to set it from the chsh command.  It proceeded to store
   the UNENCRYPTED password in master.passwd (and god knows where else).

Please HELP!  Thanks!
--
 Kevin Cole      <Flatline>    |  E-mail:  flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu
 Gallaudet Research Institute  |  WWW:     http://pchb1f.gallaudet.edu/