Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:42:00 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        chris/reman <z2172268@student.unsw.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDROM detection problems

chris/reman wrote:

> I insert FreeBSD 2.2.6 CDROM, ATAPI boot works and sysinstall is started
> from the CDROM.  Go straight into probe.  wd0 is detected along with the
> hard drive.  however when we get to wd1 it is not detected at all.  I
> have tried setting flags, rebooting from dos etc etc.  It detects under
> linux and win95.

There is a bug in the ATAPI driver in 2.2.6 that causes detection
problems. You need to install from a DOS partition or FTP, d/l the
updated file(s) and rebuild the kernel, or install a later release.

> I have searched the PR's and the mailing list search is not available.
> Is this just related to the BH6? do I need to upgrade to >2.2.6. The
> cdrom has worked fine on my old TX motherboard and under 2.2.6 and 2.2.7

I didn't use 2.2.6 myself so I can't be more specific (exact filenames
etc.). Try the mail archives again (the non-availability must have
been temporary). Search for ATAPI and 2.2.6, there were lots of
messages about this problem.

HTH