Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 17:16:32 +0500
From:      "David Alderman" <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sticky drives (was: your mail)

> From:          Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>

> > > Isn't the chamber where the platters reside hermetically sealed? If so,
> > > how would moisture be there to condense in the first place?
> >
> > They are not hermetically sealed, they have a bidirection presure release
> > and filter valve.  Look very closely at your disk drives.  If they did
> > not do this (and the tried) the cases would blow apart when ship via
> > unpressearized air freight at someplace close to 22K feet MSL.
> >

> Given the normally controlled environment drives are supposed to operate
> in, that makes economic sense. I am surprised that an overpressure of
> 10-12 psi would rupture the case, though, on a volume that small, but then
> gain the castings that I've seen recently are quite thin to save material.
>
> -Dave
I would think it was the seals and not the case that would rupture.
Then you would have a permanent "blow hole" somewhere on the drive.

Seagate once had the wisdom to place one of the drive seals on the
side of the drive adjacent to the mounting brackets.  If the frame
the drive was mounted in was too tight the seal would peal away
exposing the drive to open air.  I discovered this in a friend's
computer because I heard a middle C "whistle" which was the air flow
inside the drive blowing over the resultant hole!  This may not be
relevant - but it's not a bad story ;-)

When philosophy conflicts with reality, choose reality.
Dave Alderman  -- dave@persprog.com