Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:02:05 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        "Luc Morin" <luc_m@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network stops working

In message <002b01c086e4$2c843060$9d8fc918@videotron.ca>, "Luc Morin"
writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm sorry, but I seem to have misled some people by forgeting to
> mention that I do indeed need to use DHCP to get my IP assigned.
>
> Now, that being said, I contacted a service representative from
> my ISP this morning, and while I had 100% packet loss when trying
> to ping a known good host, he said he could ping me with 0%
> packet loss from his side.
>
> Also, I have noticed that although I can't reach out, I still see
> connection attempts made to my box (I have log_in_vain="YES"
> in rc.conf).
>
> I hope this can shed some new light.

I've noticed similar problems at home, however they only occur after
what my cable provider performs what they call "upgrades".  In those
cases, not only does my IP address change but so does the network and
the netmask, making it impossible for my system using the "old" IP
address, network address, and netmask to get a new lease from the DHCP
server.  If this is what is occurring to you, the only advice I have
for you is to either reboot or kill and restart dhclient.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC