Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2022 10:04:12 +0200
From:      Franco Fichtner <franco@opnsense.org>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org>
Cc:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, emaste@freebsd.org, roy@marples.name, Hiroki Sato <hrs@freebsd.org>, brooks@freebsd.org, cy@freebsd.org, Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Import dhcpcd(8) into FreeBSD base

> On 7. Aug 2022, at 9:38 AM, Doug Rabson <dfr@rabson.org> wrote:
>=20
> I'm not sure what the problem is here? I'm using dhcpcd client in my =
home lab with pfsense acting as dhcp and dhcp6 server and it works =
great, including prefix delegation. Choosing a new dhcp client in =
FreeBSD certainly doesn't require {pf,opn}sense to use that client.

Good, but keep in mind that your home lab is not millions of downstream =
users.  ;)

> Main thing that's missing for me is dynamic dns - my dhcp server =
updates my local DNS using ddns. This works well for ipv4 and I've been =
using it this way for years. For ipv6, rtsold is limited to handing =
advertising the local prefix. Using dhcpcd for both means I get both A =
and AAAA records in my local DNS which makes me happy.

Dynamic AAAA records for client leases is a problem, but isn't that also =
general issue with isc-dhcpd?  What's your main DHCP server for IPv6?

> Again, not seeing the harm for either OPNsense or pfSense - these =
distributions are free to choose another client.

If you want to say "not my work, not my harm" that's possibly fine, but =
not
well-rounded in a real world setting as indicated by your former status.

It is still a lot of work to get it working mostly like it did before =
and at
least one FreeBSD major release will suffer from the inferiority of =
switching
to a new integration.  I'm sure disrupting basic IPv4 DHCP capability =
which was
always working prior will come as a surprise to people involved in green =
lighting
this, but this is likely an unavoidable consequence of the proposal.

Cheers,
Franco=