Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 01:54:49 -0500
From:      Bryan Batten <BryanBatten@compuserve.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Questions for FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Using Extended Partitions

I've perused the latest mail from you and Bruce of Mon 15 Dec 1997, and
re-read the relevant sections of the FAQ (6.8) and Handbook (2.4) regarding
the use of logical partitions within an extended partition - i.e. secondary
partitions. And it now looks to me like the only way those statements can
be understood as true is if there are DOS file systems on those partitions
such that - if one were running DOS - they would be seen as D:, E:, F:, and
so on. This seems to mean - to me, anyway, that one is restricted to DOS
partitions only on secondary partitions.

With respect to Bruce's suggested hacks: Since it looks like secondary
partitions can be mounted - even if only as DOS file systems - it would
appear that the mount logic is able to locate secondary partitions
correctly. So temporarily faking out the FreeBSD fdisk (and presumably
disklabel) may work. However, by now I have quite a bit of other stuff on
my disks, so I'll have to mull it over for a while with respect to risks.

Julian Elischer wrote:

> I'm having a go at rewriting this stuff but its's not finished..
> do you have any base-partitions that you can swap to extended to give a
> free base partition?

Yes, I do. They're on a 2.1G third EIDE drive that I bought just for that
purpose. Its too big for my BIOS to autotype correctly. (I built my system
- a Pentium 90 - three years ago.) And while that doesn't seem to faze
Linux, FreeBSD keeps insisting that it is not configured. I've made sure
that wdc1 node and wdcs1 thru whatever .... etc, et al exist to no avail.
Anyway that's a separate problem I've been pursuing under the thread of
"Detecting 3rd EIDE Drive". Anyway, back to the matter in hand: (But I
still don't understand why BSD should care anything about what a BIOS can
or cannot do.)

I now feel I've gathered enough expertise so that whenever I do fall off
the wall I have enough of the King's horses and enough of the King's men to
put myself together again. So I'll volunteer me and my system as an Alpha
test site. I'll also share - if requested - any technical knowledge on
structures and algorithms I have that you may feel useful.

Thanks for yoiur responsiveness in this matter,

Bryan