Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2012 20:20:18 GMT
From:      Stefano Marinelli <stefano@dragas.it>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/171355: FreeBSD 9.1rc1 (and 10-HEAD) not booting on HP Pavilion g6 2147sl

The following reply was made to PR amd64/171355; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stefano Marinelli <stefano@dragas.it>
To: Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: attilio@freebsd.org,
 bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 22:17:20 +0200

 > There could be other factors except CPU. For example, GPU, screen =
 backlight, disks, etc. Without having proper video driver for AMD GPUs =
 it is difficult to predict its power consumption. Also you may look on =
 this page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption . It was =
 written some time ago and mostly for Intel, but hopefully better then =
 nothing. Unluckily I have no experience with AMD laptops.

 Actually I think it's a matter of GPU. On Linux, I can use the =
 proprietary drivers. On (PC|Free)BSD, I am using the VESA XOrg driver.
 The link you gave me allowed me, some time ago, to lower my netbook =
 power consumption, going even lower than Linux.

 The machine is compiling the patched kernel now. I will try to reboot it =
 as soon as finished.

 Thank you,
 Stefano=