Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:44:59 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using float emulator on a system with FPU?

>I'm going to work on FreeBSD's floating point support, but I need to
>test my changes on systems using the FPU emulators (non-GPL and GPL).
>
>Is there any way to use these emulators on a system that has a
>hardware FPU?

Toggling `npx_exists' using ddb used to work.  Now, toggling it off
on i586 systems causes a panic in the i586-optimised copy routines.

>Guessing from LINT's comments, you had to leave out npx and include
>one of the emulators, but -current's config refuses to config a kernel
>file without npx support.

This was broken by adding "mandatory" to the npx line in file.i386.

>I also tried to add "disable" to npx's config line, which compiles and
>runs ok, but still uses the hardware FPU (timing and exception test).

This may be because npx0 now attaches to nexus, but "disable" only works
for isa devices.  It's annoying that userconfig doesn't support displaying
or changing npx0.  BTW, PCI devices are no longer displayed by userconfig.

Bruce