Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2008 18:18:54 -0800
From:      Tait <freebsd@t41t.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD update warns about 7.0 end of life

> >  When running freebsd-update on FreeBSD 7.0, I noticed this message:
> >
> >  WARNING: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.
>
>	Key concept: "RELEASE".
>
>					Robert Huff

I'm not trying to be dense, but what is that supposed to mean?

I see this on http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html:
  "The FreeBSD Security Team currently plans to support FreeBSD 7.0 until
  February 28th, 2009."

As far as I can tell, 7.1 hasn't even undergone RC2 build yet, much yet
the actual -RELEASE build.

So what am I supposed to do about this warning and the impending cessation
of security support? Will the Security Team actually support 7.0R longer
than originally expected? If so, can freebsd-update be made to understand
that and stop issuing worrisome warnings? If the Security Team will stop
supporting 7.0R, what _will_ they be supporting come Feb? Assuming 7.1R
makes it out the door soon, will I really only have seven or so weeks
to upgrade? The Security Team is apparently supporting 6.4R well into 2010;
should I downgrade to keep receiving security updates?

Thanks,
Tait