Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 20:33:07 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, des@FreeBSD.ORG, fenner@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@ee.ethz.ch
Subject:   Re: fetch: multiple choices

In the last episode (Nov 20), Kris Kennaway said:
> What on earth does this mean?
>
> >> mrtg-2.9.26b.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /tmp/distfiles/.
> >> Attempting to fetch from http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/.
> fetch: mrtg-2.9.26b.tar.gz: Multiple Choices

According to RFC 2616, an HTTP 300 (Multiple Choices) return code means
that the requested URL is available at multiple locations to be listed
in the returned document.

The requested file actually does _not_ exist, and people.ee.ethz.ch is
broken in that it is returning an HTTP 300, and then listing similar
filenames in the same directory.  I don't believe this is the correct
behaviour; the file really does not exist.  It should have returned
HTTP 404.  HTTP 300 is meant for places like the sourceforge download
farm, where one primary URL ends up directing you to multiple alternate
locations all serving the identical file.

In an ideal world, the 300 response would have pointed to mirror sites,
and fetch would have just picked one (possibly multiple ones for
segmented downloading) and downloaded it.

In the current world, it's just as well that fetch didn't try anything,
as all the of the listed urls were wrong anyway.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com