Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 08:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Beattie <beattie@stt3.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Christopher Petrilli <petrilli@amber.org>, Brian Mitchell <brian@firehouse.net>, Colman Reilly <careilly@monoid.cs.tcd.ie>, Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@mcs.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Christopher Petrilli wrote:
>
> > >I'm fairly certain acl is _not_ a requirement in the dcl segment of c2.
> > >acl is, after all, just another form of group control at its very base.
> >
> > It is not "mandatory," however the following paragraph exerpted from the
> > TCSEC does make it clear that the exisintg group mechanism is NOT
> > acceptable:
> >
> >      "The access controls shall be capable of including or excluding
> > access
> >       to the granulairty of a single user."
> I could be just being stupid here, but can't you do this by making
> everyone a member of a group with their login ID, and them only as a
> member and setting the file to (owner).user, mode 707, or something?
> Wouldn't that give everyone but that persona ccess to it?
> Did anyone even follow that?  not too clear, is it...

Some people often read this requirement to mean that it must be possible
to set access rights on a file to exclude some arbitrary set of users.  To
do this you need one group for each permutation of users.  Techincally
possible but infeasable.  In fact I agree with your interpretation and I
believe so do the evaluators and most people in the INFOSEC community.