Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 1996 23:08:58 +0100
From:      Arjan.deVet@adv.IAEhv.nl (Arjan de Vet)
To:        taob@io.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web server locks up... but not quite. (?)

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.960216213633.12191H-100000@zip.io.org> you write:

>    This sort of thing has happened before with other 2.1.0-R machines
>here, but tonight was the first time I was able to get to the console
>of one before someone else rebooted it.
[...]
>    You could telnet to various ports on it (indicating that inetd was
>still bound to those ports), but none of the services normally
>attached to those ports would run, including internal ones like
>chargen or daytime (indicating that inetd was blocked in some way).
>It wasn't fielding RPC requests either.  The login prompt was still
>displayed on all the virtual consoles (I was still able to switch
>between them), but there was no response from the keyboard, as if the
>getty's had died off.  The only sign of life was that it was returning
>pings from another machine.
[...]
>    Since there is no indication as to the source of the hang, is
>there anything I can run periodically from cron to help track down the
>problem?  I can start tracking load averages, swap space usage, the
>output of vmstat, netstat, iostat and nfsstat if that will help.  Any
>suggestions?

We have seen exactly these symptoms too. At one moment our main ISP
machine (2.0.5) hung almost every night between 2:06h and 2:07h. We had
all kinds of programs running from cron like the ones you suggest but we
could not find anything strange. But because it always happened around
2:07h when /etc/daily was running we moved /etc/daily from 02:00h to
10:00h (when there's always somebody near the machine to reboot it) and
the nightly hangs disappeared. They happen once in while now, around 10:07
:-((.  But the real problem has not been found yet...

Arjan