Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:33:28 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Ciskid@aol.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network problems

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 Ciskid@aol.com wrote:
>

> >     I have two computers one FreeBSD2.2.7 and win98 linked with a cross over
> > cable I assigned each box a private IP and am going to use windows box as a
> > proxy to the internet. The BSD box will ping the IPs 192.168.0.1 <= windows
> > box and 192.168.0.2 BSD box i setup /etc/hosts to have each IP in it like this
> > 192.168.0.1 www
> > 192.168.0.2 Technode
> > The one thing that i cant do is ping the host names I also have setup the
> > default route any suggestions?
>
> You have it backwards, unless I've missed something special windows 98
> will NOT allow Network Address Translation.  You may want to use the
> FreeBSD box as an NAT box with your '98 machine behind it.
>
> As far as i know, you need special software to run '98 as a router, while
> FreeBSD comes bundled with such software.

There are some shareware products such as WinProxy and a few others.
They even support demand dial. The point where Windows and FreeBSD
really separate is when you start using FreeBSD as a firewall. Dialing
out with Windows or NT is much easier than configuring PPP. A wizard
asks a few questions and when it finishes, you can connect to your
ISP. My ISP has a setup file that will lead you through dialup for all
systems. New users just have to figure out where they will have to
spend their time. Moving someone with a working NAT service to FreeBSD
when they don't need the enhanced security is a waste of time because
FreeBSD can use the comparable windows service. The Windows machine
acting as a router becomes the gateway for all of the services
required by the FreeBSD system. You add the gateway IP address to
rc.conf and Bind and DNS information to resolv.conf. I use NT as a NAT
router. I didn't even have to specify pass_through like I did with
WinProxy. It was also setup long before I added my FreeBSD system.
When I go online full time with ADSL or a cable Modem, my FreeBSD
system will be in the front of everything. I won't have to spend 2
days seting up NATD and PPP, which by the way might as well be a
dictionary of mystic voodoo chants for most newbies. Both the Windows
98 setup and the NT setup were accomplished in less than 15 minutes
each on both systems. Adding the NAT style of routing required a
little bit more work. That included the usual two reboots for each
product that are normal for the older versions of windows <grin>. We
can't forget to point out that FreeBSD wouldn't require that.

Kent

> On your freebsd box, check out:
>
> "man natd"
> "man ppp" (look for the -alias flag)
>
> -Alfred

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html