Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 14:48:48 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@mail.iaces.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cisco 675 [Was: Re: support for ADSL cards drivers in FreeBSD]

"Paul T. Root" wrote:
> > What would be the advantage of using the 675 as a router versus using
> > bridge mode paired with a box running services?
>
> I don't think there is any advantage to using PPP mode if all you have is
> one system. The advantage is that if you have more than one machine, they
> will get there ip address from the 675's dhcp server (It's configured to use
> 10.0.0.0 net, with it set at 10.0.0.1. Obviously, you could pick your own
> address, probably at the higher end of the subnet. It uses a 24 bit mask.

I have four boxes (soon to be six) that I would like to eventually
have networked.  The whole reason I'm asking is because I can't
decide how to setup the gateway.  So you're saying that I should use
the 675 as a router instead of a bridge for a router box?

Is there any books or fine manuals that you recommend I bury my nose
in?  Reading it in print always seems to help my poor, battered little
neurons.

Slowly I am beginning to realize why all those net admins all those
years ago told me never to get into computers unless I absolutely
loved them.  But it is too late for me now, save yourselves!  :-)

Would this conversation be better suited in private e-mail?

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available