Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 11:22:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lots 'o PCI slots

> The first two are I2O.  The dedicated i960 processor is intended to
> improve PCI performance by offloading tasks from the main CPU.  But
> I doubt FreeBSD will support I2O within a year or two.

If you have been following the -current list, you will have noticed
a lot of PCI driver messages.

Vinay Bannai <vinay@agni.nuko.com> has got the i960 probed and
attached, and was last seen asking after gcc for the i960 (GCC
does support the i960, in case you were wondering).

So I kind of doubt it will take "a year or two".  ;-).

What I think is more interesting is if you could run the i960
as the default processor -- an i960 port of FreeBSD.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.