Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:53:03 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Spam Me Here <bearmaps@berkeleycs.ml.org>
Cc:        Juan <jly@tritronics.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with sendmail

Spam Me Here writes:
> You need to allow your machine to relay mail ( This is diabled by
> default to prevent people from sending spam through your machine ).
>
> Typically the allowed maildomains are stored in /etc/mail/relay-domains,
> althogh, your particular configuration might specify a diffrent location.
>
> the relay-domains file is composed of all the domains you want to
> accept, for instance, my relay domains file allows all users
> of the berkeleycs.ml.org network, my computer at home, and all users
> of jacket.org.

Speaking of "computer at home", I too am having problems with sendmail
8.9.2 refusing to accept email from exmh-2.0.2 on my local machine, but
only when I'm not logged into the net. The entry in /var/log/maillog is:

Mar 30 18:43:06 nospam sendmail[41739]: SAA41739: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net>, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1], reject=451 <dkelly@nospam.hiwaay.net>... Sender domain must resolve

I am not running a local named. Am guessing I should be. In the past
have enabled the easy default "caching only DNS" and something about my
pppd config always had to do a DNS timeout before attempting to dial
the modem.

Use pppd to establish my connection. "killall pppd" to bring it down.

nospam.hiwaay.net does resolve to 127.0.0.1 in DNS.

This business of a proper name for home Un*x boxes on dynamic IP
addresses has always confused me.