Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:48:20 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Let's use gcc-4.2, not 4.1 -- OpenMP

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> =D3=C5=D2=C5=C4=C1 13 =C7=D2=D5=C4=C5=CE=D8 2006 16:53, Scott Long =CE=C1=
=D0=C9=D3=C1=D7:
>> And I say that FreeBSD shouldn't be a beta-tester for new, experimenta=
>> compiler features.
>=20
> We don't have to start using OpenMP in the base and no port will be _fo=
rced_=20
> to use it either. But having a compiler _capable of it_ will be very go=
od.=20

I would second that. Having a compiler with features aiming modern=20
omputer design wouldn't be a disadvantage and many people, like me,=20
prefere using the systems compiler instead of one out of the ports.

>=20
> Unless you deem the entire gcc-4.2 to be "new and experimental" (I thin=
k, 4.3=20
> is such), your above-quoted argument is not valid.

I'm not very familiar with the compiler development, but it seemed to me =

  gcc 4.1 was like a interim solution. This arose due to the fast=20
appeareance of it's successor ...