Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:41:13 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update - To 'Stable'?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 16:32:21 +0000, Karl Pielorz wrote:
> I'm looking at switching to 'freebsd-update' - is there an equivalent way
> to get it to update me to '-STABLE'?

No. The freebsd-update program can only be used to follow
the RELEASE branch, plus the security updates (RELEASE-pN).
Following STABLE branch still requires you to update by
source.

> i.e. If I run this on a 9.0-RELEASE box, I end up with 9.0-RELEASE-p4 (even
> though uname says '-p3' - it's apparently -p4.

The -pN number will only be changed if the kernel has
gotten a change in this security patch run.

> I'm guessing that's not the same as if I'd csup'd to 9.0-STABLE on that
> day, and rebuilt the world?

Correct. STABLE is a development branch (even though as the
name suggests, it's stable, not experimental, which would
apply to HEAD or CURRENT).

> Also, does freebsd-update warn you if you need to reboot/rebuild anything
> (e.g. the kernel / userland or anything?)

You usually _have_ to reboot the system, as you've just
upgraded to a new operating system version. So at least
that would be the safest way. :-)

Rebuilding is only needed if you run a custom kernel.
The userland will be upgraded in a binary way (just as
the GENERIC kernel in case you're using it).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany