Date:      Sat, 03 Nov 2012 17:04:01 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>, Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is SU+J undesirable on SSDs?

At 04:32 PM 11/3/2012, Karl Denninger wrote:

>It is utter insanity to enable, by default, filesystem options
>that break the canonical backup solution in the handbook ("dump",
>when used with "-L", which it must be to dump a live filesystem SAFELY.)

I have not used "dump" in many, many years. So, I hope the
installer will not make it difficult for me to turn on SU+J despite
the problem you mention above.

That being said, "dump" should obviously be fixed to work with
SU+J. Perhaps there could be a workaround (e.g. synchronizing the
file system and temporarily turning off journaling during a backup)
that would eliminate the need to turn SU+J off all the time while a
more graceful fix is being readied.

--Brett