Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:16:59 -0800
From:      Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        Andrea Brancatelli <andrea@brancatelli.it>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The BladeCenter Saga -> bge driver not behaving properly...

On 1/5/06, Andrea Brancatelli <andrea@brancatelli.it> wrote:
> Sorry for breaking the thread and posting a new message instead of replyi=
ng
> but I'm having some problems with my mailserver.
>
> I did a few screenshots of the problems we are having with the Broadcom l=
an
> card and the bge driver... I cannot paste text because I cannot access th=
> machine in SSH (since it's not working...)
>
> So here they are:
>
> dmesg output: http://andrea.brancatelli.it/shots/cupido_dmesg.jpg
>
> ifconfig output: http://andrea.brancatelli.it/shots/cupido_ifconfig.jpg
>
> strange arp behaviours: http://andrea.brancatelli.it/shots/cupido_arp.jpg
>
> I hope this enlighten a bit someone.
>
> The hardware is working properly (I have no doubt about this) and the lan
> settings are ok.
>
> Another strange thing is that as soon as FreeBSD starts the (usually alwa=
ys
> blinking due to net traffic) lan's LED goes always-on and stays steady on
> forever (as if there was no traffic at all).
>
> We have no idea of what's happening. Seems like all the traffic is going
> lost somewhere.
>
> FreeBSD is just installed so there is nothing like pf, software firewalli=
ng,
> or such.

There is an internal switch to the Bladecenter chassis, its a module
on the back (you dont get to just plug right into a NIC as on a normal
PC :).  The behavior of that switch is controlled by the management
module if I am not mistaken, are you sure its configured sanely?

Also, have you tried IBM support? I know they normally sell Linux
for these, but maybe they'd offer some ideas??

Jack