Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2012 23:48:38 +1100
From:      Brett <brett.mahar@gmx.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Local portsdir_path

Hi porters,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to have my own ports directory that is outside the regular ports tree (e.g. if I want a older/newer version of a port), and when I make something, this directory tree is checked for content to override what is in the "official" ports tree?

On OpenBSD, I can set PORTSDIR_PATH=/usr/local/ports:/usr/ports in /etc/mk.conf, and whenever I build something, any dependencies will be built from the instructions in /usr/local/ports/ (if they exist), rather than /usr/ports.

Is it possible to set up something like this in a FreeBSD system? I could not see any info in the ports man page or from doing a web search on the porters handbook. But this method is not really documented in OpenBSD either...

Thanks,
Brett.