Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 09:48:51 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Janick.Taillandier@ratp.fr, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Console lockup

Steve Passe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so naturally it gets wierder....
>
> I just cvsupped the 1st cut of the per CPU stuff, built/installed/booted
> an APIC_IO version.  Works fine:
>
> FreeBSD 3.0-SMP #0: Mon Nov 25 11:00:43 MST 1996
>     fsmp@rick.systemsix.com:/d1usr/src/sys/compile/SMP
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
>  cpu0 (BSP): apic id: 0, version: 0x00030010
>  cpu1 (AP):  apic id: 1, version: 0x00030010
>  io0 (APIC): apic id: 2, version: 0x00170011
> =========> SECOND CPU LAUNCHED!! <=========
>
> I forgot to replace console.h/syscons.c, ie I used the ones that used to
> cause my console to ALWAYS hang:
>
>  *      $Id: console.h,v 1.26 1996/11/14 22:18:31 sos Exp $
>  *  $Id: syscons.c,v 1.189 1996/11/19 17:08:10 nate Exp $
>
> BUT IT AIN'T HANGING ANYMORE!!!  I can't think of anything thats changed
> that should affect it....  I've rebooted several times, no problems.  Is
> there anything new in the "1st cut code" that could possibly be responsible??
    ?

I'm suspicious that we might have some uninitialised data pages somewhere.
All of a sudden, I now am having reboot problems again once I've booted into
smp.  (ie: if I do a reboot or halt, I mist physically hit reset before the
kernel will come up into multi-user).  I had this problem months earlier this
year.

The code that I committed should not have changed your syscons behavior BTW,
apart from changing code alignment and memory allocation by a few pages.

Oh, the other thing that was changed was the "press RESET or RETURN" after
printing the IOApicMask vs. imen values was removed.  Try putting it back
in autoconf.c and see if your problem returns?

Cheers,
-Peter