Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:47:04 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Subject:   Re: options FAILSAFE

As spork wrote:

> I've always wondered exactly what it does...  Is it strictly a scsi thing
> or does it touch other bits and pieces?  LINT says it enables tag queueing
> on the ncr.  Does anyone know what else it does, and whether it does
> anything if you're running CAM?

It was intended to enable `most defensive' kernel parameters.  It
turned off tagged queuing in the NCR driver, since there used to be a
number of disks like older HP drives that choked on tagged queuing
even though they claimed to accept them.  Since this is a show-stopper
during installation, Stefan Esser once created this option.

I don't remember it ever changing more than just this.

I haven't read the CAM sources for the ncr driver, but would assume
the option degraded to a no-op now.

--
cheers, J"org