Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 19:04:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bugs@ns1.win.net (Mark Hittinger)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mail...

I know of a local pubnix machine that is supportint approx 1200 accounts
running FreeBSD 1.1.5, it has 32 dial up lines, and full internet
connectivity.  The work load is a lot more than just mail reading.

25,000 mail users scares me a bit, even if each user only had
100k of mail spooled up that would take 2.5Gbytes of disk just
for the mail folders.

If you assume only 1% of the folks attempt to get access there mail
at once this is 250 interactive users, your going to need a lot of
machine to handle that, but FreeBSD could handle it.  (Last time
I checked wcarchive.cdrom.com was supporting 400 ftp connections).

> We have a windows based uucp front end called "win net" which handles
> e-mail and news.  We have thousands of customers sending and receiving
> e-mail and roughly 70% of those subscribe to some subset of usenet
> news groups.  We've recently added a TCP/IP stack onto this product
> so that we have an offline mail/news reader plus on-line web junk ect.

News is easy, you only have 1 copy of the usnet articles to store.
``Thousands'' vs 25 thousand may not scale very well.

> It is doable - and you might be surprised.  FreeBSD is actually a bit
> faster than some of the commercial Unix OS that we experimented with
> as platforms for our service.

25k line /etc/master.passwd files scare me a little, I know we have
had lots of problems in the past with this when people had more than
a few hundred accounts.  I do not know how well even the speedups that
where made would deal with 25k user names.

Has any one played with uid_t's >65536 and know that this all works??