Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 2015 14:53:11 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CFT/CFR: NUMA policy branch
References:  <CAJ-Vmo=SnqXTF5m65haKqrVf699zinyXs%2BQdvR6V88CW7vooCw@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-VmonyTfSxj%2BD=FN3TUCO33w4vGqh1REQqx-8rd-JcArfqSA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-Vmo=ON9bEngDoMFK-kJR=qVvcX%2BEeQXx%2BUoEsh1npMHjESQ@mail.gmail.com> <D60A4F17-D573-4C0D-AD8B-2C3710A67DA6@gmail.com> <CAJ-Vmokym0_M=owRuR1uAcfAnzme-0xULs%2BYShQ7GXa7V9F6Vg@mail.gmail.com> <559D778B.5050408@freebsd.org> <559D8B78.4020305@FreeBSD.org> <CAJ-Vmo=At0RTFN-a=reqv41EBwHPJPesiBCXS%2BTGqJCs2i2a7g@mail.gmail.com>

> On Jul 8, 2015, at 1:57 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
>> On 8 July 2015 at 13:43, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> On 08/07/2015 22:18, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> So Kib is complaining that his feedback is getting lost, but refuses to u=
se a
>>> review tracker?
>>=20
>> How about phabricator losing diffs? Would that be a valid complaint?
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> Let's not get side tracked. I've invited a variety of people to review
> and comment on this stuff. Some people want it in reviews.freebsd.org,
> some want it via diffs. Different people want work done in different
> units of work.
>=20
> My plan is to get this into "good enough" state to throw into -HEAD. I
> don't even care if in 12 months it's completely replaced with an
> alternate implementation and/or API. What i care about right now is
> getting the basic pieces in place so further work and experimentation
> can be done. Right now the entry limit to evaluating any NUMA things
> on FreeBSD is "you don't, without numa.diff", and that's unacceptable.
> I completely expect that it'll change over the course of a few years.
> But the fact we still don't have even the most basic userland exposed
> API for controlling things is IMHO unacceptable and reflects poorly on
> us as a community.
>=20
> So, I'm looking for less nit-picking and more "this is wrong, you
> should do this." A lot of kibs responses have been errors on my part
> that I hadn't picked up on and weren't exposed during testing. I'm
> looking for more of those. I haven't yet gone over Garrett's comments
> in too much depth; I'll look at that tonight if I don't fall asleep
> first.
>=20
> The important thing here is to try and finally move the default
> available functionality along a little bit so people can get
> interested and start using this and contribute their own work.

Can we just use GitHub and move on already? =20

-Alfred=