Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:30:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
Cc:        "Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group" <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make.conf options (was Re: package-like feature for the base distrib (was Re: FreeSSH))

<<On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:55:21 -0400, "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com> said:

> This is going in the right direction, but here is a question (and I don't
> have the answer). Is it so much more easier to create new compile time
> directive than to go the extra step and use packages where they are
> available ? For example "bind8" is available as a package. Why not have the
> base install process use that instead of using its own source ?

Because one of the fundamental principles is that a default
installation, with no third-party packages, should still be a complete
system, and -- most importantly -- be able to regenerate itself
precisely from source.  Hence, the default system needs to contain
*an* MTA (not necessarily sendmail, but that's not a question we want
to reopen), and *a* name server (not necessarily bind, but there are
no other choices).

-GAWollman