Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:22:19 -0400
From:      Yanek Korff <yanek@cigital.com>
To:        "'jhb@FreeBSD.org'" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, "'j_guojun@lbl.gov'" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>, "'groudier@free.fr'" <groudier@free.fr>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD-hardware@freebsd.org'" <FreeBSD-hardware@freebsd.org>, "'FreeBSD-SCSI@freebsd.org'" <FreeBSD-SCSI@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: SCSI controller & NIC problem - irq11

Some troubleshooting I did last night:

1) Removed the 3com NIC & booted
SCSI card still fails cache test.
Noted IRQ of SCSI had changed to 12.
Noted when the system tried to boot, it failed with a kernel trap & rebooted
and
came up fine the 2nd time. (this happened more later)

2) Removed the SCSI card, but left the 3com NIC in.
NIC still not detected.

3) Removed the PCI riser (64-bit, plugged into 64-bit PCI slot & drawing
from adjacent slot too) in order to install 3com card into one of the 32 bit
PCI slots (directly on the motherboard).  This required removing the metal
bracket from the NIC.
The NIC was detected and successfully configured.

Rationale:
3com card must be plugged into motherboard directly because the riser
supports
only 64-bit PCI cards?

4) Installed SCSI card into a Dell 2550 running FreeBSD4-STABLE.
Same behavior as in colo hardware.  I do not have access to another server
with 64-bit PCI that is not running FreeBSD (at least, not one I can shut
down at will); I cannot test the card against other OSes drivers.

Either the SCSI card is BAD, or the FreeBSD drivers do not yet support this
version of the card (64 bit vs 32 bit)?  BTW, Jin/Gerard: BIOS says this
card is 53C1000-66.

-Yanek.