Date:      Tue, 4 May 2004 14:26:47 -0400
From:      Clay Holladay <jhollad@emory.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd-stable packages on freebsd-release-4.9

I upgraded my ports tree with cvsup using "." for the release so I
would get the latest ports.  pkg_add -r downloads packages from
freebsd-release-4.9 and portupgrade -aPPR fails because it tries to
download packages with version numbers matching the ports tree from the
freebsd-release-4.9 directory.  Compiling from ports give up to date
software.  I know that ports only supports freebsd-stable and freebsd-
current, so is this what should be happening?  Or should pkg_add -r be
in synch with ports.  Is it possible to use freebsd stable packages on
freebsd-4.9, or do I need to always compile from ports?