Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 22:48:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu, ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!ponds!rivers
Subject:   Re: Daily panic's with 2.1.5R.

> I finally swapped everything out of that box into a GW2K P-90 box (the
> only hardware that changed was the motherboard, case, and power supply) &
> upgraded it to 2.1.5, and when I checked it five or six weeks later, it
> had been up solid since the upgrade (I left that job soon after the swap).
> I figure it was something due to the early PCI implementation.  Anyway, to
> the point -- bad hardware seemed to be the cause of the troubles.  The way
> news pounds on the I/O subsystem seems to point out transient hardware
> problems, so perhaps that could be related to your problem?
>
> Just a thought,
> Guy Helmer

 Thanks for the insight - I had given that some thought myself...

 However, I've seen this panic on an AHA 1542B with a reliable SCSI
disk and a new IDE controller and brand new IDE drive (both on the
same ISA machine - non PCI.)

 As far as I've determined thus far, the frequency of the problem
seems related to the the different parameters used to newfs the file
system... particularly the number of inodes.

	- Dave R. -