Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 1995 12:39:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Pete Kruckenberg <pete@dsw.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory upgrade problems w/ 2.0.5R

Last night, I attempted to upgrade my FreeBSD 2.0.5R news/Web server from
64 to 96MB. It ended in slight disaster. I wanted to find out if I missed
something critical, or if one or both of my SIMMs might have been bad.

Here's what I did:

 modified my conf file with 'options MEMMAX="98304"', then rebuilt the
  kernel
 when building the kernel, I use optimizations (gcc 2.6.3):
              -O2 -m486 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe

The system is a Pentium 75 (AMI BIOS, I think) with an Adaptec 2940 PCI
controller, VGA controller, 2 SCSI (Barracuda) 4GB drives.

After I installed the new kernel, things came up just fine, but after
maybe 10-20 minutes, the machine would crash and reboot, with a message
like:

 /kernel: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
 /kernel: fault virtual address    = 0xf1a6a814
 /kernel: fault code               = supervisor read, page not present
 /kernel: instruction pointer      = 0x8:0xf019e735
 /kernel: code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
 /kernel:                  = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
 /kernel: processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
 /kernel: current process          = 670 (innd)
 /kernel: interrupt mask           =
 /kernel: panic: page fault
 /kernel:
 /kernel: syncing disks... 53 53 48 39 27 10 done
 /kernel: Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
 /kernel: Rebooting...

This happened a couple other times with the current process = Idle, but
those times, the disks didn't sync (I just got timeouts), so there was no
record in /var/log/messages.

So, would this indicate a hardware problem, or a software problem, or
what? I'm a little hesitant to try this again until I know how to avoid
it. As soon as 2.1 comes out, I'll probably upgrade the OS, but I would
like to bump it up to 96MB now, if possible.

Thanks for your input.
Pete Kruckenberg
pete@dsw.com