Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:47:52 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perl version woe

--ed3uMmqcC8ElRL9ExhHP46GgGQqDaqsHx

On 04/16/15 09:07, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Do you mean to say, I should be able to safely run "pkg upgrade" and
> pkg will resolve this for me?

Yes, pretty much.

You can run 'pkg upgrade' safely, as it will show you what packages it
will install, remove or reinstall and ask you for confirmation before it
does.  (Assuming you haven't overridden that behaviour in pkg.conf)
Check what it tells you carefully, and just hit 'n' if you don't agree
with it.

In fact, for "difficult" upgrades it tends to do that twice, once with
the information in the repository catalog, and then again after it has
downloaded all the new packages and so has access to the complete list
of files in each package manifest.  The second pass of the solver is
where it handles all the packages trying to install conflicting files,
which is something that tends to happen when doing a switch between
different version of perl or ruby or the like.  You should be able to
avoid the two-solver-passes effect by pulling down the new packages
using 'pkg fetch -u' before trying the upgrade.

Generally, if pkg can't work out how to upgrade it will end up asking
you to remove some items from the upgrade and then end up not doing
anything.  Although pkg-1.5 should be less prone to that sort of thing no=
w.

> I'd better try on a copy of the system.

To be sure.  There's no such thing as "too paranoid" where systems
administration is concerned. pkg(8) should not be causing you any grief
though, and even if it does, we'd like to know about it[*] so we can
avoid the problem in future.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Ie. we'd like a copy of your package database and maybe access to
your repo, or details of your repo setup so we can try and reproduce the
problem.