Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 09:51:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwgray@netbox.com>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
Cc:        Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>, Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fixed IP, losing net connection

Jaime,

Thanks.

The green link light is on, next to the RJ45 plug.  Good thought.
Can telnet to localhost

The cable modem runs into a hub.  I have two FreeBSD boxes connected to
the hub.  One running 2.2.6 is fine and stable.  The new one running 3.3
is fine except it has lost the ability to be connected to from outside the
lan.  You can ping it from your machine but you could not telnet in if you
had an account.

You could ping and telnet into the FreeBSD box running 2.2.6

Fixed IPs, not DHCP on these boxes. Also have Mac connected to the Lan, it
is connected via dhcp and working fine.

Just the new box, with 3.3 is a problem.

Can telnet to my IP from the 3.3 box but cannot telnet to any other box,
including the box on the lan.  can ping the other machines on the lan.

Appreciate any ideas or advice.

Thanks again,
Jeff